Friday, February 16, 2007

Sketches in a Thai Restaurant - Dec. 1986


As I've mentioned I've worked in the art department of NewsCorp which publishes The Australian newspaper.

T'was 1980! First week working in the art dept as a culture-shocked Pinoy was not at all traumatic. Artist guys took me out to a local RSL club and taught me how play snooker. Man it was like playing billiards in a golf link. Then it's the pokies where I won $500! Beginner's luck. I've reciprocated by treating my workmates at a discreet no-names pasta house off Riley St that provided free lolly water. Then boys lit up...and then my first encounter with the Midnight Oil;-)

Back in1986 the art department had a memorable christmas party at a Thai restaurant in Surry Hills, Eastern Sydney. My late wife Gigi ordered her favourite pla lerd and tom yum goong while I pulled out a tiny notebook and sketched all present with a fine felt pen washed over with water (from my drinking glass;) to achieve middle tones. Some of these artist friends have already passed away. Oh I'll forever cherish the fun moments with these mad artists;-)
The drawings were done in a single notebook; scanned and put together in photoshop.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 12:58:00 PM GMT+11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

illos! that's cool how you created the term for it.

michelle b.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home