Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Jep




Back in '85 this author launched a comic book entitled Jep, Ang Pinoy sa Ostrelya (Geoff, the Filipino in Australia) .

They were originally a series of cartoon strips in 2 local Fil-Aus newspapers edited by two long-time friends Tony Dedal (a retired Philippine Airforce pilot) and later on Jimmy Pimentel . After compiling A3-sized original black & white drawings the first book was out.. published by Rey Galang, author of a number of Filipino martial arts books. He now lives in Washington DC. Rey was also my martial arts teacher and head sensei of http://www.bakbakan.com/ of which this author is a member.


Two decades flew past in the blink of an eye and Jep found his way up in the much-improved internet. Here's where I practised creating gif animation, experimenting on sound files and page-building skills (still learning;-) I've coloured the drawings using Photoshop and now you can enjoy reading them . (Just right click on the Jep title above to open a new window)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at 9:39:00 PM GMT+11 , Blogger Toto Ed said...

Tukks, in a wink of an eye... my eye, of course... your Aragorn Express Train is chuggin'-chuggin' and pulling long couches of full packed freight and freaks... of nature.. well, Jep is... not the birdies. Hehehe... You have inspired Pareng Rod so immensely.. he now has not one, two but three blogs in all! Sabi ko nga ke' Glenn.. 'tong Blog at Tubo ay magkatuwang.. idikit mo yung una, pindotin mo ang huli... rock n rollan na!!!! Sige, posting pa :-)

 
At Tuesday, October 23, 2012 at 4:44:00 PM GMT+11 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir, in 1986, you gave my father an autographed copy of your book to take home with him to the Philippines. Some years later, I would find this book, and, though not intended for children, I devoured your work with a voraciousness that I've rarely felt for any book since. It was my first exposure to Filipino talent in the graphic artform, and has since become one of my most beloved books, having had a huge impact on my love for comics. Today, I am twenty two, and though it's been over a decade since I first followed him on his misadventures, I will never tire of revisting my old friend Jep and his Australia, for all his stories' wit and charm, humor and poignancy. Sir Aragon, I wish to thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for the gem that is Jep, ang Pinoy sa Ostrelya. - Jobim Javier

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home